From the website above come the, “Ten Strangest Dental Requests”. I can tell you we’ve had several of these. Not only have we had some of these requests we have granted some of them.
10) “Can you extract my tooth without anesthesia?”
While I don’t remember anyone asking for an extraction without anesthesia, I do remember someone having gum surgery in our office who insisted on no anesthetic. I suspected that guy was a masochist.
9) “Please wire my mouth shut to aid in my diet.”
Haven’t heard that one, at least not in this office. I’ve heard it on TV.
8) “Can you ID this set of dentures left in the bathroom of the bar I work at?”
7) “I will pay you or your hygienist to floss my teeth at my office every day.”
Patients have joked about such things. Very few people could actually afford it, but we’d do it for the right price.
6) “Pull all my teeth, and just give me dentures.”
Not only did a patient request it, Dr. Urban had a serious talk with the patient and the patient’s wife, told the patient he would hate it, PUT IT IN WRITING, and made the patient and the wife sign it. Dr. Urban went ahead and pulled all his teeth and made him a denture.
The patient was delighted with it, and he and his wife remained patients for many years until they moved.
You might wonder why this guy needed a dentist after the extractions. Well dentures need to be relined as soft tissue changes shape over time. Soft tissue also needs to be checked for oral cancer. And Dr Urban talked him into retaining two lower teeth to help hold the lower denture in place, so we had to keep an eye on those two teeth as well.
5) “I just broke off my engagement. Can you prepare my tooth so that I can keep the diamond in it?”
Never heard that one. Personally I’d hate to be reminded of the failed relationship every time I look in the mirror.
4) “Will you give me local anesthesia in my lips? I’m going in for permanent “lipstick” tattoos on my lips, and would like to avoid the pain.”
Dr. Urban had someone ask him for that as she was going to have electrolysis to have her upper lip hairs removed. He did it for her.
3) “May I have an emergency cleaning visit? It’s my high school reunion and I need a bright, white smile to face my old boyfriend.”
That happens frequently for reunions, weddings, really any important event where someone wants to look their best. However, it’s not typically an “emergency”. These things are planned well in advance, and people just make an appointment before the big event.
2) “Can I keep the teeth you pull out of my mouth? I’d like to make a necklace out of them.”
We had that request from a young man when we took out his wisdom teeth. I saw the necklace. It was pretty cool, very tribal.
And the number one strangest dental request ever received…
1) “Can you give my dog braces?”
Never heard that one, but I wouldn’t be surprised if veterinarians do.
If you have a strange dental request we might be able to help you. Give us a call 703-532-1712 FallsChurchSmiles.com